Thursday, April 12, 2012

The 200 billion company that can not fix a simple credit card processing problem

I am talking about Google.

About a month ago I purchased OBI110 device, it is a VOIP device to make free phone call to US&Canada without any fee, thanks to its great integration with Google Voice. It works great for local calls, so great that I cancelled my old landline phone service. But I also have the needs to make international calls, then the problem begins.

While google voice promised free calling within the US and Canada through 2012, international call is at an affordable rates. There is easy button to add '$10' credit to my account through credit card payment. On Mar. 6, I clicked it, then it told me:

Uh oh. There was a Problem
We couldn't complete your purchase because of a technical issue.
Details of the problem below:
We were unable to verify your account information. Please visit wallet.google.com/manage in order to resolve this issue.


I did what it told me, I double checked my information, I tried difference cards, I tried on another day... nothing helps. I tried to contact google, and it turns out they do not have phone # or email for Google voice. The support links on google voice leads me to this forum, and oh my god, lots of people reported this issue since Feb 19, and there is not a single word from Google. From the discussion there you can see people tried different ways, phone calls to general google support, submitting feedbacks etc, none of them helps. It is clear people working at google does not pay attention to this official support forum, and the google voice team is completely out of touch with its users.

On Apr 8, I heard some news about google wallet and it seems to be undergoing some active development. So I gave it another try, but it failed again. But luckily I found a deeply hidden 'Email us' link wile navigating their help page, so I sent an email explaining my problem and mentioned lots of other people having the same issue.

A few hours later, I got an email from Google Wallet Support with an link from the help section, I wrote back saying it is useless. Three days later, I received another email, and my problem was finally resolved.

I love lots of products google builds, but this customer service experience is the worst I have with any big company.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The total lack of support is unacceptable. How much would it cost to hire one person at Google to support Google Voice full time?
For those of us using Google for business this issue was a major pain for months.
And here lies the problem: Google is still focused on consumers, not business.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree w you!
I tried many times and it didn't work.
So what I did: I bought SKYPE credits instead!
Google sucks!
They should provide good service and also a customer service number so their clients could solve their issues!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have tried working with them on the "technial issue" that google wallet keeps reporting. However all they do is delete the credit card and I have to re enter all the information to get the same "technical problem".
The web is full of complaints about their wallet, you think they would fix this before doing anything else. What a good way to lose loyalty and customers.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To anyone that comes here with this same issue, this is what got it to work for me.

Go to google wallet (wallet.google.com). Click options button (the gear icon on the top-right), then fill in addresses and phone numbers under the 'general' tab and 'billing and shipping' tab that match your credit card info. I also edited the credit card in payment methods to add the CVC number. Then I tried to port the number again and it worked.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Farooq said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Farooq said...

As a Verizon wireless customer, I have plugged in 2 valid credit cards, but can't purchase any apps. The one I am targeting is Groove IP (to be able to make free calls). I am either confused or super confused. I tried using google voice, but noticed that my regular minutes was deducted. Any advice about either issue. 1) How to purchase an app from Google Play ? 2) Make calls without burning through my minutes ?

6:45 PM  
Blogger machall said...

Unbelievably poorly run business. I would have expected more from Google, but I too cannot PAY GOOGLE. What kind of stupid business won't take my money? Astounding!

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home